- Thin pink belt on base of abdomen
- Green wash when fresh (fading to brown)
- Pale line outside discal spot is relatively straight (see 'Confusion species')
- Medium size with deep wings
- Discal spot elongated
- Many waved patterns - often visible on faded specimens.
Confusion species: Green Pug lacks pink waist belt and has a waved white line beyond the discal spot.
Habitat: Scrub, woodland edge, hedgerows.
Range: Thinly distributed throughout England (not far south-west) and Wales. Range surprising given common foodplant (Blackthorn).
|Sloe Pug, 18/5/14, Cliffe Marshes RSPB, Kent, The Bald Birder|